Saturday, September 13, 2008

Something to ponder...

Our youth minister is really good about giving our youth a crazy question to ponder each week, would you rather this or that, and I have pondered this question to myself over the last few days, so let me ask you...

Would you rather have a hurricane or tornado? Hurricane Ike has certainly caused me to think about this. I never, as a younger person, realized how much hurricanes can affect the entire state. I do remember one time as a kid how a hurricane brought in lots of rain and wind to central Texas, but other than that, I just don't recall it until the last 3 years or so. The hurricane seasons seem to be getting worse. Katrina, Rita and others in the last few years and Gustav earlier this year and now Ike. How devastating they are. For people with allergies and weather induced asthmatic symptoms, we've been feeling the affects of the the storm brewing in the gulf for about a week now. Breathing is getting a little easier now, at least for me, since it has moved thru.

Fortunately, I've never experienced the devastation of either a hurricane or tornado first hand, and I hope that I never do. I've experienced down drafts and wind shears from the severe thunderstorms and tornadoes in the area and the devastation from that. I've seen a couple of funnel clouds and yes, even had to take shelter a few times but Praise the Lord, they never hit the area where I was. The pressure in the air changes with them too and causes me difficulty in breathing, but it is over sooner.

Aside from the allergy/asthma aspect of it all...what would you rather experience if you HAD to choose one? Hurricanes have more warning--days and allow you to move to higher ground and out of the path of the storm--you have to travel to escape them and you don't know how long before you can go back to check your home, have power, etc. (way more things than I can even comprehend). Tornadoes, sometimes have very little to no warning, other than normally there is a severe thunderstorm going on and we are warned that conditions are favorable. Sometimes there is no warning, they just drop and that's it. They are over quicker, but devastation is just as severe, only not as much water involved. I guess you could say each have pros and cons and I don't know which I'd prefer if I had to choose which to experience. Prayerfully I'll never have to directly experience either.

I don't like storms, I don't like lightening ( I know a lot of people think it is pretty and maybe it is, but I still don't like it) and I don't like wind. I get very nervous during these severe storms, especially at night when you can't see what's going on. I am normally sitting up (in bed when they are at night) watching the news reports for the direction and duration and to see if it's "time to take cover" and praying for the winds and rains to calm and for safety.

For the families of those who experienced Hurricane Ike or any others first hand, I'm praying for you. I hope that you home, belongings and more importantly, you and your family, are safe.

1 comment:

KerrisKorner said...

Love the new look! Good question to ponder...I agree with you!